[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at five-elements.com
Tue Mar 4 17:43:52 EST 2003

Comments below, much text removed to reduce length.

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 11:36, Member Services wrote:
> Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact
>
> 3.  Proposed timetable for implementation:
>
> Once this proposal is ratified, ARIN should update it's registration
> services agreement to reflect the new policy within 30 days.  Existing
It took months for the ARIN staff to get the new templates worked out
and usable.  I have a hard time believing that this would be implemented
well in a 30 day timeframe, as sad as that seems from the outside.
> ORG and other bodies should receive notification of the change and the
> requirement to comply during that same period.  They should be required
> to comply within 90 days of the date the notification is sent to the
> existing ADMIN-C.
>
> After that time has elapsed, ARIN staff should be expected to investigate
> and take further appropriate action on any complaint received about lack
> of human contact in any resource record.
>
> Appropriate action is left to the discretion of the ARIN AC, but should
> include ARIN staff contacting the hidden human contacts to try and find
> resolution.
Again, from my outsider's perspective, it seems like the ARIN does not
have the necessary resources to perform its current duties, even with a
budget excess in the millions of US Dollars.  I assume this is due to an
aversion to adding headcount with the assumption that registration needs
will decrease as the economy slows and new IT spending decreases; or
that management is simply incapable of growing beyond the current volume
and complexity of operations no matter what resources are available.

If either of my above assumptions are true, I doubt that any more ARIN
human resources would be available to conduct these investigations.  For
that reason this proposal seems a bit far-fetched.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at five-elements.com>