[ppml] RIR shopping -- AND MORE

David Kessens david at iprg.nokia.com
Mon Mar 3 19:35:47 EST 2003

John,

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 02:28:16PM -0500, John Curran wrote:

> The policy requirements of each region are understandably different,
> as the history of Internet deployment in each region is different.

I would be really nice if somebody could point me to these 'different
policy requirements'. We are all trying to connect to the same global
Internet and I just really don't see any reasons why policies should
be different.

What we really need is a global policy platform. The current policy
process doesn't scale and the real cause of different policies is lack
of communication between the different regions. The problems that we
have with certain policies are not at all unique to our region -
having attended many of the different regions policy meetings, I see
the same problems (and simular but not the same solutions) coming up
in the different regions.

In addition, it seems that some people think that more policies for
all kind of special cases are going to make the allocation process
more fair and equitable for all members. On the contrary: more
policies only benefit the few privileged people who have too much time
on their hands and manage to keep up with the latest policy of the day.

David K.
---