[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

Joe Provo ppml at rsuc.gweep.net
Fri Jul 25 15:16:27 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:59:53PM -0500, BARGER, DAVE (SBIS) wrote:
> I don't disgree.  But the intital focus was specific to residental
> customer privacy.  I just wanted to clarify that point.

Psudeo-anonymity/privacy lies in the land of dynamic and NAT'd
addressing. If there's a *need* for consumption of finite resources,
there's a *need* for accountability. If someone needs 'permanent'/
sizable allocations, why do they need to hide? Is there a theory
that the lack of 'privacy' (psuedo-anonymity) is preventing adoption
of IP technology?

I question the premise that "small home-based businesses" desire to
conceal their resource utilization is valid. The phone book analogy
is not applicable; if the customer is getting semi-random segments
of /32s, that is more like telephone number assignment. Many service
providers *do* offer non-contiguous multiple addresses to their end
users (and indeed with many technologies that is as easier if not
easier to use and implement than 'proper' subnets).  A more apt
telco analogy for the desire of contiguous netblocks is an
organization having an NPA/NXX - are there unlisted entries in the
LERG?

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE