[ppml] Increase the flexibility of IP allocations to facilitate planning

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Wed Jul 23 08:12:19 EDT 2003

Can I throw this in:
Many of us have complained about those not following the RFC-
I forget the # at the moment- with concerns towards postmaster, abuse etc.
and I personally have been told by an ISP, that "we do not SWIP" blocks.
(Of course after giving their senior management the ARIN website links,
called ARIN and asked for complete clarification and even gave them the name
of who I spoke with and asking why are you..... they are changing....)

If we are going to increase the flex here, should we not see if they are
following the basic policies first? Maybe consider these thoughts:
1. Does the user have complaints about violation of ARIN IPv4 policies?
2. Can we do an actual spot check to see if the user is following the policies?
3. Is there whois data actually correct?

Don't get me wrong I am all for being flexible when providing a service.
But I am also seeing the ABUSE that may occur.
If a user is so big they are requesting a second,3rd, 4th or 50th block,
they should be amiable to correct their deficiencies.....

I won't name him here, but there is a certain SPAMMER in Florida that
has at least 3 /20s and several other blocks directly from ARIN.
None of his whois data is right. And I very much doubt
he is using 80% of those blocks. and I won't even mention # 1 above.

I know we have to accept the good with the bad, but in some cases does
that bad outweigh the good?
FYI That Spammer says he sends over a Billion emails a day......