[ppml] Any backbones that do route IPv6?

David Kessens david at iprg.nokia.com
Thu Jan 9 18:32:53 EST 2003

John,

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:05:05PM -0700, John M. Brown wrote:

> Ahh, right, back door information.

One could also say that it is important to do a bit of research. For
example, one can easily find on the PAIX webpages (check the '+' signs
at http://www.paix.net/paloalto_1.htm) who does ipv6 and who doesn't.
You can check the ARIN webpages for who actually got ipv6 allocations.
Also, you can download the 6bone database and do some grep's for your
favorite ISPs and you will find that most of them are already active
with ipv6 in one way or the other. You really don't need to be an
insider to find this information - it's all publicly available.

> Which is GOOD in many
> cases, and David has previous association with Qwest (if
> memory serves me correctly),

This is correct.

> so knowing the right people
> with enable on a router helps.

It certainly does :-).

> The issue I think Mury and I are talking about, at least
> one of them, is that The normal process of getting connectivity
> with a backbone does not see IPv6 as a product.

But this maillist is the wrong one to complain about that - it's a free
market - one votes in this country with his/her pocketbook. Find a
different ISP. I found quite a few who do offer ipv6 service and they
are making money today because they offer ipv6 service.

Note that I do agree that the policy can be improved and that it
contains certain barriers that don't necessarily help the deployment
of ipv6.

On the other hand, it's really not so hard to get addresses and
connectivity from a provider near you.

David K.
---