[ppml] Get you IPv6 Today, lets update the policy

Phil Howard phil-arin-ppml at ipal.net
Wed Jan 8 04:42:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 04:33:20PM -0500, Richard Jimmerson wrote:

| > a) be an LIR
|
| In the ARIN region the term ISP is used in exchange for LIR (Local
| Internet Registry).

But not everyone is an ISP under those terms.  I'm certainly
interested in deploying IPv6.  But my upstream is currently not
so interested.  They will be eventually, and I do in fact have
substantial influence, but that would be based greatly on my own
tests of how well things work out (tunneled for starters, obviously).

| > So the first barrier is that you must be a ARIN customer
|
| This is not the case.  In the ARIN region you do not first have to be a
| customer of the RIR to request Internet addressing resources.

What's not clear is whether the address space I might be able to get
will be the permanent space.

| > In addition, research and development groups within end sites
| > are excluded from receiving IPv6 space and thus can't develop
| > cool new applications or services that make use of and would
| > support the deployment of v6 space.
|
| These organizations may be able to obtain address space from the 6bone.
| ARIN also has a proposed policy under discussion, "Experimental Internet
| Resource Allocations," that may be applicable in some of these cases.

I'm really not interested in that level of "experimentation".  I'd
rather be doing in in "learning mode" instead of "research mode".
I want to make the commitment to move forward, and do what I can to
make it happen.  But that won't happen for me with 6bone.

| > d) plan to deploy 200 /48 sites/customers
| > You have to be able to provide 200 sites with v6 services within
| > 2 years.  Chicken and Egg.  Can't start without having the space,
| > can't get the space because you don't know if you can support 8.33
| > new v6 connections per month.
|
| In the policy document, item (d) is stated as such:
|
|   d) have a plan for making at least 200 /48 assignments to
|      other organizations within two years.
|
| ARIN does not scrutinize plans from requesting organizations for meeting
| this requirement.  All we require is they state they have a plan for
| making these assignments.

The funny thing is, I've done some much work to squeeze as much as I can
out of IPv4 space, that I don't see make 200 /48 assignments ... ever.
And I certainly won't state otherwise.

The kind of services I focus on now don't justify it.  But I still need
portable space.  The problem is there is still discontinuity in what
much of IPv6 is supposed to be about (at least as I saw it) and what
ARIN policy is.

| If there is concern that this or other statements in the policy are
| causing hesitation on the part of organizations who want to request IPv6
| address space, perhaps it is time to consider changes in accordance with
| the procedures set forth in the ARIN Internet Resource Policy Evaluation
| Process.

I don't even need a /48 for all that I expect to be doing.  That's just huge.
What I do need down the road is portability and multi-homing.  I thought
IPv6 would be enabling that.  If that's not so, then I have zero incentive
to deploy IPv6.

--
Phil Howard
phil at ipal.net