[ppml] Abstract of proposed Internet Draft for Best Current Practice (please comment)

Dr. Jeffrey Race jrace at attglobal.net
Wed Feb 19 04:06:31 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:58:13 -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:

>Here's the real problem, as I see it.  When a domain is revoked, name
>service
>for that domain stops working at the root or TLD level.  When ARIN
revokes
>an IP, nothing happens until an ISP stops routing it.

I am interested in learning more about the technical measures which
the RIRs can employ to prevent fraudulent use of IP address space
(which is now occasionally reported on Spam-L already).   But at
the level of the draft BCP, I am considering to add a new type
of abuse:

 - announcing a non-delegated route or other fraudulent use of
   IP address space.

Comments invited on
 * wording (correctness, inclusiveness)
 * practical effectiveness.

Those following the draft BCP would blocklist the offending ISP.
These things would get around pretty quickly.

Jeffrey Race