[ppml] Revocation

Ron da Silva ron at aol.net
Tue Feb 18 18:36:09 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:52:03PM -0700, John M. Brown wrote:
> > Now, about allocations and assignments...
> >
> > Suggested Thread #1: Revocation
> > I believe this thread began with the idea of having certain
> > services (allocations/assignments) revoked by ARIN under
> > given circumstances (namely fostering SPAM).  We need to be
> > more precise on which resources and under which conditions
> > those resources are to be revoked.
>
> Since there isn't a "standard" lithmus test for what SPAM is,
> ARIN can't have a policy to revoke a prefix because of SPAM.
> This should be dropped.  Spam is a social issue that is not
> in the perview of ARIN or any other RIR.

If we generalize this thread, what I was asking for is
a standard test for when to revoke resources and how.  SPAM
is only a subset of that discussion.  One obvious condition
is lack of payment.  But, I thought Jeffrey was suggesting
other conditions.  Certainly if we cannot define (for the
purposes of ARIN policy) what SPAM is then we will not be
able to create such a policy.  I certainly would encourage
someone to propose something though to start that discussion
rather than to debate whether to have even have the discussion
itself.

-ron