[ppml] Abstract of proposed Internet Draft for Best Current Practice (please comment)

J Bacher jb at jbacher.com
Tue Feb 18 09:58:11 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

> >Are you proposing that ARIN revoke certain resources (assignments,
> >allocations, ASNs, etc) under certain conditions to influence
> >certain behaviors (decreasing SPAM propagation)?
>
> Yes! It is the only way proven to ensure good behavior among the
> refractory and the negligent.   It gets their attention.   Initially

<cut>

> Why not and what can be done?   It is an obvious loophole in the
> system from the point of view of a sociologist of group behavior.
> If the Motor Vehicle Registry can't revoke licenses for abuse,
> of course the drivers will ignore the rules.

The state can revoke a license under authority of the law.

Vocal anti-spammers can't even agree as to what exactly constitutes the
various types of unsolicited email.  I can't see how we can expect to
draft a proposal that goes above any law in this country and expect ARIN
to have the resources to enforce it.

Your original post (possibly the first bullet point) suggested that ISPs
*prevent* this type of abuse.  What solutions can you offer that will
allow an ISP to prevent spam?