[ppml] RE: ppml 2007 (was blank)

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Fri Feb 14 19:02:26 EST 2003

> The way I understand the proposal was that the purpose was to allow
> small to medium orgs to be able to get a block assignment if they were
> multihomed.  There was no teeth in the proposal to ensure that those
> getting the assignment should be allowed and I believe that became one
> sticking point.
This is done.
2001-2 gives me the ARIN approval to have a Class C-
This is how I got my Class C.

> Yes, its difficult to ID who is part of another org.  While it is
> difficult to identify who should or should not be classified
> as multiple
> orgs, as a CIO or network director, I would not put my company in a
> position where its connectivity could suddenly be cut because
> of fraud.

HMM I know an ISP with at least 3 ORG IDs..

> What that requires is that the RIR's have to have a mechanism
> to affect
> the routing tables (gads!).  Should that be tied to whether this moves
> forward?  I don't feel so.  But lets do get the issues out
> there.  As I
> have said before, I really feel this needs to happen.  I have been
> affected and along with others I know.  It sounds like a lot of other
> people commenting on this list feel the same way.
This is a topic that has been covered to such a high degree many of us, just
give up..

> Lets start a new thread that lists the issues for and against
> and start
> addressing them.  Right now a lot of the comments have been in that
> direction (as has yours).  I am new to the list.  Is there a moderator
> and are they/he/she willing to start building a subthreads for each
> issue?  I would really like to see it move forward and would like to
> hear from the RIR's and ISP's on this also.

No real moderator, That I have ever noticed..
Start the thread with a topic whenever you feel.
If it touches a thread in someone it will continue..

> I'll throw what I think are the issues so far:
>
> Aggregation
>   Block sizes
> IP address pool
>   Swamp use
>   Reallocations
> Org qualification
>   Multihoming
>   Company size
> RIR administration
>   Policing

Steve-- Check this out:
http://www.arin.net/policy/2001_2.html
Some of those issues are too big enough for a single thread.