[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at five-elements.com
Thu Aug 21 17:44:47 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:24, McBurnett, Jim wrote:
> I hate to see the /22 in this, as I am multi-homed and I don't foresee
> the ability to use it in a year. But I understand the routing table issue.

I'm sure small, multi-homed shops that need provider independent space
will simply inflate their utilization figures to demonstrate need of a
/22, perhaps wasting a little address space in the process. I can live
with that as /24 assignments are an overwhelmingly large portion of the
routing table today, and a few slightly larger blocks will probably cut
into the growth of /24s a bit.

The key thing to understand here is, when you create limitations like
this, ISPs will fudge their numbers to meet the arbitrary minimum
network sizes so they can get the type of assignment they need. How many
organizations have /20s today that could do with a /22? These largely
arbitrary limits, while well-intentioned, only make the ARIN difficult
to work with.

--
Jeff S Wheeler