[ppml] IANA is dead!?

Lee Howard lee.howard at mci.com
Wed Aug 13 10:23:44 EDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:21:37 +0100
> From: Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
> To: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [ppml] IANA is dead!?
>
> >An interesting application ... however forgive me for being ignorant but
> >could this not be done by using the 10.x.x.x space and a physically
> >private network - as you indicated, your networks are not connected to
> the
> >Internet anyhow,
>
> As I said this is an industry, i.e. thousands of independent companies and
> organizations. Many of them already use RFC 1918 addresses in their own
> private networks. However, because the industry is built entirely on the
> notion of transactions between two or more organizations, there is a need
> for internetworking. These internets may not be *THE* Internet, but they
> are still internets and they need globally unique IP addresses to

When I have encountered this kind of need  in my day job, I have
suggested that nobody needs "globally unique" addresses, only "unique
within a given network" addresses.  What we call the capital-I Internet
is not the only internet, and any agency coordinating an internet can
construct its own registry for that purpose.

It is not clear to me that it is in the public interest to reserve IPv4
address space on a per-industry basis.

> --Michael Dillon

Lee