[ppml] The WIANA registry

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Apr 25 11:56:01 EDT 2003

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:29:45PM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
wrote:
> > What do people think about providing support to WIANA in order
> > to properly register the 1/8 address space that they are using?

Given the premise for their existence is RIRs/RFC2050 are not applicable to
their users, I don't think ARIN support makes much sense.

Thus spake "Ron da Silva" <ron at aol.net>
> Hmm...shouldn't WIANA simply ask an RIR for space (after
> justification) or directly petition IANA like any other well behaving
> internet activity/experiment?

WIANA's web site states their 1/8 addresses aren't reachable from the public
Internet, therefore they have no functional reason to pay RIR allocation
fees.  I am very doubtful they could get an allocation from IANA directly
without IETF/ISOC support for their experiment.