[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-5

Mark Kosters markk at verisignlabs.com
Fri Apr 18 16:34:18 EDT 2003

Thank you for editing this. I do have some nits I'd like to discuss.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 11:03:54AM -0700, william at elan.net wrote:
> How about this version for proposal:
>
> "Minimum requirements for operating reassignment whois server for those
> ISPs that do not use SWIP to provide public access to their reassigments
> are as follows:

I don't think we want to say whois server here. Either we stick with
RWhois or called it an "ARIN approved distributed information service".

> Reassignment server must allow public access to reassignment information
> 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and must return results that are up-to-date
> for the ip address queried.
>
> Reassignment server may follow privace considerations for public access to
> whois as described in other ARIN policies but must provide exact detail on
> assignments and allocations to ARIN staff.

Humm, what do others think of having two views and the wording above
as opposed to what is stated in the multi-homing section of the policy?

> The ISP may restrict the number of queries allowed per time interval from
> a host or subnet to defend against DDOS attacks, remote mirroring attempts,
> and other nefarious acts and may temporarily disable service for short
> maintanance period not to exceed 12 hours per month.

Is 12 hours a good number?  Do we want to put up sla-like numbers that
RWhois providers to have to sustain?

Thanks,
Mark (aka Mr RWhois)