[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-4: IPv6 Policy Changes

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Apr 10 11:59:54 EDT 2003

> Mury wrote:
> Do you have any recommendations to encourage the rollout
> of IPv6?

As a matter of fact, I do.
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/draft-py-mhap-intro-00.txt
(and a lot of other things as well on the same web page and ML)

> The negative comments directed at my proposal never
> contain any alternative suggestions.

The ARIN public policy mailing list, as far as I know, is to discuss
policy, not solutions.

> The fact is IPv6 is not being deployed. Why?

Not because the policy is not good. Because the protocol is unfinished,
which combined with other factors leads to the most important reason
that there is zero customer demand.

> What's worse, some extra admin work and *possibly* some
> wasted IPv6 addresses (swamp), or to continue using IPv4
> for another 10-20 years?

The sad truth is that in North America today I have zero use for IPv6.
As a customer or a netizen, I don't have a reason to upgrade. This is
not because the ARIN policy is flawed, this is because of a combination
of factors such as sluggish connectivity, IPv6 services inexistent or
not better than IPv4, lack of a multihoming solution, etc.

Michel.

Sr. Network Engineer  | | |  __/   \ \/ /  |  _ \  | \  / | |  __  |
                                IPv6 Multihoming Solutions
                        http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh
                     http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/public/ipv6mh/