[ppml] Big numbers

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Apr 9 16:57:28 EDT 2003

In a message written on Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:46:04PM -0700, Michel Py wrote:
> One day you will have a surprise. Marshall is not entirely right as the
> equivalent of a /32 is indeed a /128 _but yes_ the equivalent of a /30
> is indeed a /64, please read:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11.tx
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-02.t
> xt

Note, I said this was on a test network where we are trying out
many things just to see if they work, not because they are a good
idea for a production service. :)

That said, I've seen the drafts, and to a large extent (which is
one of the reasons we're trying it) I don't see why an ISP can't
set aside a /64 (so externally it looks like one proper block),
but internally use it as /126's for P2P links.  They always get
statically configured, there are no end host services, they have
no MAC.

Note too, for a long time you had to use a /30 in the IPv4 world,
and people finally got smart and reaized a /31 works fine.  I've
already asked one vendor to support /127 IPv6 links. :)