[ppml] Big numbers

Brian Bergin arin_ppml at comcept.net
Mon Apr 7 19:25:58 EDT 2003

With NAT technology getting better and better do you really think every TV
and toaster needs a public IP address?  Every individual and company
already has access to millions of private IPs under IPv4.  Encouraging the
use of public IPs on devices/computers with absolutely NO need to be on the
public Internet is only going to allow hackers to ruin your holiday dinner
when they hack your oven and change the temp to 600°F and you get burnt
turkey or they turn off your furnace or turn off your water heater when
it's -20°F outside.  Any way you look at it, putting an IP on "every
electrical and electronic component as well as subsystems elements" is a
bad idea, IMHO....

Maybe I'm just missing the big picture.  Conservation, IMHO, just isn't
that crucial for IPv6.  I remember when IPv4 was going to be gone
"tomorrow" or "next year" only a couple years ago.  I believe NAT has had a
big part in the life extension of IPv4.

Just my 3¢ (inflation you know...)

Brian Bergin
ComCept Solutions, LLC