[ppml] RIR's should have power to suspend Member's registration in specified circumstances

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Fri Oct 25 18:10:18 EDT 2002

So I take me ARIN allocated IP space and route it from Panama.

Now I don't have US authority to worry about.

The point being missed here is that RIR's should not and
do not control routing tables.

> > How do they enforce telling me what I can and can't have
> > in my routing table?
>
> It can also mean changing the entries in the root servers, as
> another means of making it clear who's the proper user of
> said IP addresses. I prefer this means, personally, since I
> don't like getting government involved.

What specific entry/change in the root server would you make?

> > What happens when the RIR makes a mistake and drops
> YAHOO.COM for 28
> > hours ?
>
> A period of 5 days is reasonable. If it isn't corrected by
> then, that's when you start punishing.

RIR's are not in the business of telling ISP's how to run
their business.  In the US that would violate various
anti-trust laws at a min.