ARIN Database and Template Transition

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Fri Feb 22 13:39:50 EST 2002

Hello David,

Thank you for submitting your questions/comments.

> (1) net-isp.txt - In the "3 Month Projection Section", what
> is the intended purpose of "10. Additional Information"?
> Outside of a stated need of a [insert requested netblock here]
> and projections that support this stated need, are there any
> other criteria by which ARIN hostmasters judge 3-month needs?

Many of the new templates include an "additional information"
section to allow template users to elaborate on certain types
of information.  This addition to the templates was made
past year.

> (2) net-isp.txt - How about changing 7. to read:
>
> 	7. Reassignment Option (SWIP/RWHOIS/Other/Not applicable)

We will add a short statement in the instructions portion of
this numbered item to indicate this may not be applicable to
some organizations.

> (3) transfer.txt - I'm not entirely certain I understand nor like
> item 6. - the ability to remove existing SWIP information at the
> time of transfer. Since I'm unclear of the motivations for this
> action, can you please offer an explanation of the thinking behind
> this item? It seems dangerous to me. Thanks.

It is fairly common in the transfer process that the organization
who the block of IP address space is being transferred to uses
a RWHOIS server and requests all reassignments in the ARIN database
be removed.

> (4) Throughout the templates, the phrase **REQUIRED** is used
> inconsistently. In most cases, a field is required. In most cases,
> it's fairly intuitive when a field is optional. I'm not sure what
> the final visual product of these templates is supposed to look like,
> but perhaps a final consistency check would be warranted for the
> "**REQUIRED**" statements. [My point: apply it to ALL required
> fields or get rid of it everywhere.]

We will conduct a review of the templates for consistency in the use
of **REQUIRED**.

> (5) net-end-user.txt is currently unavailable on the FTP server.
> Please put it back up.

We just verified this file is on the FTP server with the same timestamp
as the other template files in the new-templates directory.  Please
try opening this file again and let us know if you are still unable
to do so.

> (6) netmod.txt - Whoa! What is "REMOVE"?? Maybe I'm missing the
> boat, but what is "REMOVE" doing in a netmod template? The
> instructions fairly clearly indicate this is to remove a
> downstream assignment/allocation. Is this intentional?

Yes, it is intentional.

> Did ARIN staff decide it was a good idea to extend the scope
> of netmods to allow parent POCs to quickly remove SWIPs?

Yes, as well as modify "network" records. There are only minor
differences between a SWIP and a direct ARIN registration, primarily
the identity of the parent.

> (7) In poc.txt, the instructional text is inconsistently
> placed above and below the item to which it refers.
> In most cases, the text is for the item above it.
> But look at 14. and 17.

Anytime it is specified lines may be duplicated, it is placed before
the beginning of that line.  The instructions after a line specifically
relate to the contents of that field.  Usually, the duplication
instructions accompany a section delimiter, but we see this is not
the case with these lines.  We can modify the instructions relating
to duplications on this template to be consistent with the others.

Best Regards,

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations