Policy Proposal 2001-1

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Wed Sep 26 12:31:38 EDT 2001

> It does seem to beg the question, "What is the purpose
> of WHOIS?"  Specifically, what is it about /24 objects that makes them
> more useful than /29?

The requirement for public reassignments is to, among other things,
provide a public accounting for who is really using IP space and, when
necessary, to provide contact information for that end-user to the broader
public.

> If it's because smaller allocations list the upstream ISP as the POC,
> well that's contrary to policy, and I don't think it's a good reason
> to change other policies.

My assertion is that a large percentage of /29 assignment list the
upstream as POC *because* of the privacy policy ARIN adopted in light on
the increased use of IPs by private residential networks.

Over time, the consequence of this privacy policy is a decreased
usefulness of /29 reassignment info. But I'm making no judgement here -
I'm simply stating that for this reason, and to lessen work load for what
seems to be a futile task, we move the boundary to a more useful subnet -
/28.