Question about ISP Address Requests

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Fri Dec 21 14:29:42 EST 2001

In my response, I glossed over an important concept which, upon further
reflection, I should explain more fully.

> > The section preceding multi-homing states: "ARIN allocates IP address
> > prefixes no longer than /20. If allocations smaller than /20 are
> > needed, ISPs should request address space from their upstream
> > provider."  Is "needed" defined "must be able to immediately utilize?"

No. ARIN provides IP address registrations tailored to meet an ISP's
three month needs. Three months != immediately.

The three month needs part is a very important consideration for both
the requestor and the registry. Always keep it mind when making requests
for address space, initial or additional.

/david