ARIN Web Hosting Policy (fwd)

Andy Walden andy at tigerteam.net
Tue Aug 29 16:26:12 EDT 2000

> The following major technical limitations on name-based hosting services
> come to mind:
>
> 1) there are still browsers in use which do not work with name-based
> hosting, causing embarrassing problems for the host and the customer

If a browser that doesn't support name-based vhosts, then it also can't
see a huge amount of the content or hundreds of thousands of vhosts on the
rest of the net either. This user is making a choice.

> 2) other important related services such as FTP and mail retrieval
> cannot be virtualized except on a per-IP basis

There are plenty of technical solutions to do both of these. In

> 3) if one customer site is blacklisted by a service such as ORBS, it
> affects all sites hosted by the host on that shared IP address
> 4) if one customer site is blacklisted by a filtering service, it affects
> all sites hosted by the host on that shared IP address

I can't imagine that circumventing rogue filtering services is
justification for IP addresses. That situation would be between you and
the filtering service.

> 5) hosts that are forced to rely on name-based hosting are at a significant
> competitive disadvantage in the marketplace

I would imagine this statement comes as a shock to those of us that have
been hosting thousands of sites on name-based vhosts for years without
complaint.

> This policy change comes as a shock to those of us relying on the only
> competitive method of virtual Web hosting available to us.  pair Networks,
> Inc has a strong vested interest in its technical approach and business
> model, and will take whatever steps necessary to protect both.  We prefer
> to work within the system first.

I would be interested in seeing how you intend to circumvent the
system. I don't see how you think a statement like this could gain
you any sort of credibility for your arguments.

> Kevin Martin
> sigma at pair.com

-andy