[arin-discuss] [arin-announce] Community Consultation: Future Direction for the ARIN Fee Schedule

Cort Buffington cort at kanren.net
Tue Oct 14 09:46:08 EDT 2014

Disclosure:
I am with a smallish statewide R&E network, an LRSA holder for 2 x /16s, and “normal” ISP holder of 1x /17 and 1x/32(IPv6). Also, I have never held any illusion that the special treatment of the LRSA holders would be permanent or even long-term. I always expected it to be a way to placate us for a few years while we adjusted to the changing world.

Discussion on the Fee Schedules:
Underneath the equations and calculations is a question about what ARIN is, or will be. I see two competing paradigms:
* ARIN sells the right to use IP addresses and charges fees based on the number of IPs used.
* ARIN provides registration and records maintenance services and charges based on the cost to provide those services.

One of these describes an organization that is selling something of value, and revenue is generated based on volume of sales, with perhaps discounts for large buys (or penalties for small ones). The other describes a (probably non-profit) organization that is offering a service and charges fees based on the fair recovery of expenses in providing those services.

I believe ARIN should first answer the question of what it is, and then look at the fee schedule from that standpoint. It doesn’t mean that fees can’t be used as disincentives for inefficient use, but it does end the seemingly random bi-polar positions regarding the pros/cons of each fee schedule option. It is very difficult for me to discuss the “fairness” of any of the proposals until ARIN decides what it is. You’re both you say? Ok, but you still haven’t clearly communicated to which extent you are which and where the boundaries are.

Regards,
Cort

--
Cortney T. Buffington