[arin-discuss] ipv6 fees in new fee structure

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 7 17:26:34 EST 2013

On Mar 7, 2013, at 4:39 PM, Jawaid Bazyar <Jawaid.Bazyar at forethought.net> wrote:

> This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard (this week, anyway).
>
> ARIN has a policy that says: The smallest block you can get is a /32, and it costs $2250.
>
> Then they have a stroke or something, and decide that the smallest block is now a /36, force a retroactive change on providers, insist that they return the block and re-number, or alternative, you can pay us boatloads of additional money just because we changed our mind.

Jawaid -

  The ability for providers to get a smaller block (e.g. /36) happened
  more than a year ago (via implementation of Draft Policy ARIN-2011-3)
  and is independent of the revised fee schedule.

  The revised fee schedule for someone with /32 of IPv6 is actually lower
  under the new fees ($2000/year vs $2250), or it would be if not for the
  fact that the prior $2250 annual fee has benefitted from 25% discount
  that has been effect for several years (i.e., net result was $1688/yr).

  The revised fee schedule does result in some members seeing higher fees,
  but it results in lower fees for the majority and _consistent_ fees for
  everyone.  A presentation to the members covering this in detail was
  made at the last member's meeting and is available here:
  <https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXX/PDF/thursday/curran_fee_schedule.pdf>

Thanks!
/John

John Curran