[arin-discuss] ipv6 fees in new fee structure

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 7 15:25:18 EST 2013

On 3/7/13 13:56 , John Curran wrote:

> This aspect (being able to take /36 from your existing block) has been corrected,
> i.e. you may return portions of your original IPv6 /32 such that you are left with
> a contiguous /36 and ARIN will recognize the new total  IPv6 holdings and invoice
> accordingly (i.e. only for /36 of IPv6 space)
>
> Apologies for the earlier confusion on this point; we have been trying to avoid making
> "holes" in the IPv6 sparse allocation buckets but also realize the need to be flexible
> in circumstances such as these - thanks for raising the issue.

John,

I think that is completely constant with the intent of ARIN-2011-3 that
provided for /36 initial allocations.  I assume the 3 month timetable
still applies for the return of the other 15/16ths of the /32?

I'm interested to know if the 3 month timetable is a problem for any of
the 234 that this seems to effect?  If necessary, I think a one-time
policy could be put together quickly to extend the timetable for the
return if this is real a problem for anyone.  If its not a problem for
anyone then we don't need to clutter the NRPM up with it.  But, if this
is a real problem that needs policy then we to get a proposal in ASAP.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952