[arin-discuss] ARIN Consultation: Changing the Voter Eligibility for ARIN Member Organizations

Jay Hennigan jay at impulse.net
Tue Jan 15 23:50:11 EST 2013

On 1/15/13 11:06 AM, Matthew Wilder wrote:
> I share the same concern as Owen.  Perhaps one way of recognizing the current structure and delegated power of the DMRs within active organizations is to allow votes from any POC while explicitly noting that DMR trumps if they participate.  This seems to be an easy best-of-both worlds compromise.  In other words, if the DMR is active and votes, their vote represents their OrgID.  If they don't vote, it goes to any POC who took the time to vote.

This could work in some cases but doesn't completely eliminate a race
condition.  If multiple non-DMR POCs vote, do you take the first?  Admin
over Tech?  Tech over Admin?  Etc....

On the other hand, perhaps the low participation isn't necessarily a bad
thing.  Those who don't care to vote probably don't care about the
governance or policies of ARIN, or they think that ARIN is doing a good
job and don't have the time to research the candidates and make an
informed decision.

What percentage of shareholders in AT&T bother to submit their proxies?
 Probably less than 10% of the shareholders, but a higher percentage of
the shares.  Those with a large stake care about the governance.  The
majority of shareholders/members just want their dividend checks or
their IPs to continue to be routable.

"You guys make delicious sausage, but I really don't care to watch it
being made" type of thought.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net
Impulse Advanced Communications  -  http://www.impulse.net/