[arin-discuss] Implementing IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Feb 27 20:07:27 EST 2013

Jawaid,

You are correct the ISP Core and Internet facing infrastructure is the
easiest part, some of us in the R&E world had that part done back in
2001 or so, and many by the mid-2000's .  The much harder part is all
the edge facing infrastructure, the DSLAMs, CMTSes, CPE boxes, etc.. in
the provider world and the APs, switches, load balancers, firewalls,
etc... in the enterprise and data-center world and the servers and
applications for all of the above.

Back in the early 2000's, after we got IPv6 turned up in the R&E
backbone networks the biggest problem was host OS support, but that is
mostly solved now.  While there are still issue in the edge network
infrastructure above, the actual biggest problem I see is getting
application owners and server operators to turn IPv6 on when its
available and getting application developers to support IPv6 when its
not.  And there really isn't a check list for a network operator to
follow to solve that problem, I really wish there was.

I'm afraid the few people that have solved these server and application
problems view the fact that they have solved them as a competitive
advantage in the long-term and may not be willing to share their
solutions to these complicated non-technical problems.  Or the solved
them with brute force and don't want to admit that either.  :)

On 2/27/13 13:15 , Jawaid Bazyar wrote:
> John,
>
> You just ignored what I said. An ISP implementing pure IPv6 is the easy
> part. The hard part is supporting the hundreds of millions of non-IPv6
> devices.  Implementing requires knowledge and process for handling that.
> Your typical IT guy is going to need help with it.
>
> On 02/27/2013 11:51 AM, John Von Essen wrote:
>> I dont know why this thread keeps going. IPv6 implementation is SO easy.
>>
>> Step 1: Call your BGP peers and ask them to give you dual-stack
>> IPv4/IPv6 and setup an IPv6 BGP session.
>> Step 2: Configure the WAN link on your routers with dual-stack
>> IPv4/IPv6 and assign the IPv6 address given to you by your BGP peers.
>> Step 3: Add the BGP session info for v6
>> Step 4: Add your v6 advertisements
>> Step 5: Your DONE

NOT DONE this is just the ISP CORE and facing infrastructure!!!

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952