[arin-discuss] Implementing IPv6

Oliver Ddin oliver at zerolag.com
Fri Feb 22 12:58:42 EST 2013

We received our /32 IPv6 block from ARIN awhile back but before we could do anything with it we needed to do some hardware / IOS upgrades on our backbone.  We got enough of that finished last week that we decided to "roll out" IPv6 and see how things looked.

After a couple days of trouble shooting why none of the engineers in our data center could reach their Hurricane Electric Tunnel networks at home (and vice versa),  I stopped looking at our backbone and started looking at Google.

It appears that the squabble started in 2009 between Cogent and HE is still in progress.  I was wondering if anyone on this list had any "inside" information about the problem and whether or not there was an end in sight.  It seems to me that having a disconnect between two major players is going to hinder IPv6 adaptation.

This isn't a squabble per se - HE have always expressed that they are more than happy to peer with Cogent - They even sent them a cake at one point. Nonetheless, the whole thing ultimately comes down to competition; Cogent's opinion is (cough cough, allegedly) that HE should be paying them for peering. Sensibly, HE hasn't acquiesced to that and so we practically end up with two IPv6 Internets - I'll leave it to you to decide who is running the better connected one.

I don't think there's any end in sight, but maybe one day Cogent's IPv6 prefix reachability will become ghastly enough for them and/or their customers that they change their tune.

Regardless of that of course, this speaks to exactly why single-homing yourself is typically not in your best interests.

Oliver Ddin
Senior Network Engineer & Chief IPv6 Architect
ZeroLag Communications

ZeroLag - Embracing IPv6:
http://www.zerolag.com/ipv6

Disclaimer: All content, opinions and statements herein are entirely my own.