[arin-discuss] ARIN Consultation: Changing the Voter Eligibility for ARIN Member Organizations

Jesse D. Geddis jesse at la-broadband.com
Fri Feb 8 17:04:47 EST 2013

John,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to contribute. I think the resulting course is the wisest one.

Jesse Geddis
LA Broadband LLC

From: ARIN <info at arin.net<mailto:info at arin.net>>
Date: Friday, February 8, 2013 1:20 PM
To: "arin-discuss at arin.net<mailto:arin-discuss at arin.net>" <arin-discuss at arin.net<mailto:arin-discuss at arin.net>>
Subject: [arin-discuss] ARIN Consultation: Changing the Voter Eligibility for ARIN Member Organizations

Thanks to everyone who participated thus far in the voter eligibility consultation. Before we close the consultation on Tuesday, we wanted to review the discussion to date. We appreciate your valuable feedback.

The proposed change to voter eligibility was mainly aimed to increase eligibility, and thus number of votes cast, by allowing those Members without a valid Designated Member Representative (DMR) on file to have someone vote. While ARIN does typically have good voter turnout (as compared to other associations), the change was proposed to remove the task of managing the DMR contact that may have been an impediment to some organizations voting.

There were a number of responses put forth during the consultation:

Some of you warned ARIN of unintended consequences of such a procedural change including security issues, increased costs, and that "many persons [with] one vote only creates more problems”.

There were also ideas presented for an alternate approach including allowing the Admin POC to easily designate which POC should be allowed to cast their organizations one vote.  This approach could potentially eliminate the need for organizations to have a separate POC to maintain (DMR) and more easily allow organizations to vote that don’t meet the existing DMR email criteria:

  *   Not be that of a role account (info@, hostmaster@, support@)
  *   Must contain a person's name or initials (joesmith@, joes @, js@)
  *   Have a domain matching the Organization or DBA name that ARIN has on file

Considering the voices of opposition to the proposed change thus far, it appears prudent at this time to maintain existing practices with respect to Designated Member Representatives for voting.  We also would encourage further discussion on the requirements for DMR contacts and automation of their management at the upcoming ARIN 31 meeting in Bridgetown, Barbados on 21-24 April 2013.

Be sure to send any final comments to this list by end of day Tuesday 12 February.

Regards,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO