[arin-discuss] Facebook /20, Google /16

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Wed Sep 15 16:47:42 EDT 2010

On 9/15/10 4:15 PM, Jason Hensley wrote:
> Anyone have any idea why Facebook would have a full /20 assigned to them?
> Seems to me a fine example of the waste that we have out there with IP's.

Well, as of October 2009 public information on the topic has that they
were running 30,000 servers.  Strikes me that doing that with a mere
4,096 address shows significant restraint and thriftiness.  Are you sure
they don't have more addresses than a mere /20?  They are one of the
larger destinations on the Internet, you know.

-- Jon Radel