[arin-discuss] Facebook /20, Google /16

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 15 16:35:48 EDT 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Jason Hensley wrote:

> Anyone have any idea why Facebook would have a full /20 assigned to them?
> Seems to me a fine example of the waste that we have out there with IP's.

A /20 is only 4,096 hosts. Do you really think that Facebook, arguably one of
the largest volume web sites today, does not have at least 4,096 hosts
engaged in providing their service?

> Google is another - they own a /16.  Ugh!!

Google uses vast quantities of machines doing massively parallel operations.
I would be utterly surprised if they do not have at least 50,000 hosts involved
in providing their service.

> Yeah, I know, we all complain about it, but come on!  That just doesn't make
> sense.

How does it not make sense? I'm simply not understanding your perceived
issue.

Owen

P.S. The solution to address scarcity is simple. IPv6 is the answer. Fanatical
restrictions of the other guy's addressing plan are not.