[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 14 17:59:46 EDT 2010

On Sep 14, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Lee Howard wrote:

> Excellent question.
> We keep spinning around the question of "what if we groom a customer to a different edge router?"   DHCP assignments come from DHCP pools based on the source address of the relay router (i.e., edge router).  Even if the home gateway knows to request a new prefix when its link comes up on a new router, the devices in the home don't know that their prefix has changed.

If they're configured by DHCP or SLAAC as they should be in most cases, yes, they do.

> Maybe the home gateway should expect to send a DHCP Reconfigure if it acquires a new prefix after a link state change?  Assuming the link actually bounces in a groom, that is.

Doesn't DHCPv6 already require a router that receives a new DHCP-PD to notify its existing leasholders?

I thought it did, but, I would have to review the RFC to be sure.

> How does your edge router know the next hop of the DHCP prefix?  Snoop the DHCP packet?  I think we should resurrect RAAN, but since it expired I'm not sure there's support.  Just MHO, of course.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. The DHCP Prefix Delegation comes after an RA has already
been received instructing the router to request addressing via DHCP. The RA covers the next hop
information.

Owen