[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

jlewis at atlantic.net jlewis at atlantic.net
Tue Sep 14 12:54:29 EDT 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Lee Howard wrote:

> The following guidelines may be useful (but they are only guidelines):
> 	* /64 when it is known that one and only one subnet is needed
> 	* /56 for small sites, those expected to need only a few subnets over the next 5 years.
> 	* /48 for larger sitesand
> Subsequent IPv6 allocations, based on HD-Ratio in units of /56 assignments.

What's recommended for colo/dedi server providers?  Our standard dedi
server gets a /28 of v4, and this is done by configuring our switch port
as the first usable address in their /28.  This allows customers to run
different services on different IPs, SSL for older browsers, etc.  I can't
see giving a /48 to every customer.  Even a /56 is probably overkill.
OTOH, we don't have enough customers that we'd have any concern of using
up our /32 even if we did give every customer a /48.  Even just
configuring a /64 on each customer switch port would give most customers
more IPs than they'll ever need.