[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Tom Bourgeois tbourgeois at cablesystem.com
Tue Sep 14 10:23:49 EDT 2010

________________________________

From: arin-discuss-bounces at arin.net
[mailto:arin-discuss-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Ron Cleven
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:49 AM
To: arin-discuss at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

I was with you right with you (assign /48 to every customer, no
exceptions) up until you came up with the big-isp exception (assign /56
to private residences).

Why would Comcast (using your example) customers get "only" a /56?

Is there something wrong with the math (are big-isp's going to run out
of /48's)?

If it is ok for Comcast customers to get /56's, why isn't it ok for all
other private residences to get /56's (what are the /56 customers giving
up)?

As usual, I am horribly confused.

 Ditto.  We currently have around 115k residential data subs in addition
to a few thousand business customers.  Compared to the Comcasts, AT&Ts,
and Time Warner's of the world we're definitely on the small side but if
I give everyone a /48 then I guess I need to go back and get a couple
more /32s soon.  I guess I don't see the huge problem with aggregation
on our local plant.

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

	It is very typical. /48 to every customer, no exceptions. If a
customer
	wants less, assign them a /48 anyway and only tell them the
first part
	of the prefix. When they get wiser, tell them the /48 that you
	"reserved" for them.

	The non-typical case is an ISP with very large numbers of
residential
	customers (something like Comcast for instance) where it makes
sense
	to assign /56 to private residences and /48 to everyone else.