[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Sep 13 21:00:49 EDT 2010

In a message written on Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 08:48:59PM -0400, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> proper ports in the firewall.  Funny how easy that gets when there is
> no STUN or uPNP in the fray.  Might even be something that you click

I don't think (but I'm not sure) that uPnP requires NAT.  That is,
I think a stateful firewall could implement uPnP and use it simply
to unblock ports on request.

I think for most consumers that's a good model.  Your PS3 or other
appliance like device can request the couple of ports it needs, and
if you want to know you can log into your gateway and see waht a
device requests, and/or deny a particular device such access.