[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Alan Batie alan at peak.org
Mon Sep 13 20:59:34 EDT 2010

On 9/13/10 4:23 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> This is a really horrible approach... Yes, if you give a /48, it's
> gone. So what?
>
> If you need more /48s, then, get another /32 or even a shorter than
> /32 prefix.

One of the apparent goals is to *avoid* going back to the bar for
another block, though I believe the registries are doing the same sort
of thing for the same reason: that way it will be *possible* to get a
"shorter than /32"

> For sparse allocation, allocate your /48s by bisection...

same idea, just moving the left edge and doing slightly more complicated
math.

I should say digits rather than bits though, as it simplifies thinking
about it:

1xxx: customers
1000::
1100::