[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Schnell, Darryl DSchnell at corp.ptd.net
Mon Sep 13 13:24:19 EDT 2010

Can anyone recommend a good IPV6 website for Beginners? I've read about eight web sites which say the same things and I feel like my head is going to explode. I guess the problem I'm having is trying to understand how an IPv4 CIDR notation translates in an IPv6 CIDR in order to fill out ARIN IPV6 Allocation Template future usage section. My actual question is -

If I assigned a customer say an IPV4 /21 in IPV6 this would translate into a /56? If I'm not mistaken a /56 would translate into something like 65,000 host addresses? That just seems like a lot of hosts to me, especially when most of the time I'm working with networks that are /26 or smaller. I guess my big problem is confusion over labeling. What would be the equivalent of a /26, /27, /28 or have we done away with blocks that small and simply would just assign a /56 instead?

Does any of the gibberish I wrote make any sense at all?

Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated.

D -