[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] x-small IPv4 ISPs going to IPv6

Artur (eBoundHost) artur at eboundhost.com
Mon May 3 22:58:37 EDT 2010

>>> x-small IPv4 providers as such,
>>> constitute about 1/4 of the total ARIN ISP constituency.
>>
>> So 1/4 of the current IPv4 ARIN community will have to pay something
>> to get IPv6... which will hinder IPv6 rollout in my opinion.  If we
>> truly want people to transition now we need to make their initial
>> small ipv6 allocation at no additional cost if they are already
>> paying for x-small ipv4.
>>
>> "6.4.3. Minimum Allocation
>> The minimum allocation size for IPv6 address space is /32."
>>
>> which is $2,250/yr, more than the $1,250/yr that they are currently
>> paying. The x-small ipv6 allocation on the fee schedule is misleading
>> since you can't even get it.
>>
>> Don't start with the $1,000/yr is nothing; its the cost of a PC for
>> an employee argument... it all comes back to do you really want IPv6
>> rollout to succeed or not.  I personally am holding out on ISP v6
>> block because I don't want the extra cost.  I can't get anything from
>> my upstreams (level3, cogent) because ipv6 isn't available thru them.

Regretfully i'm not familiar with all the politics and ideas of ARIN but
i've seen very similar back and forth ever since our initial allocation
several years ago put me on the arin mailing list.

So we, as a community, want to go to ipv6, i get it, but what motivation
does my organization have to do this?  Our customers are not ready for
it, our upstream providers are not ready for it, our software vendors
are only quasi-semi-ready for it.  But I'm seeing all these
conversations about "fee this and fee that" as a solution to IPv6
migration.  What are you going to accomplish exactly by beating us small
guys with a "fee" stick on IPv4 while the giant consumers of IP are
getting theirs at relatively no cost?

There are 4 things that you can do _today_ to free up IPs and encourage
IPv6.

1)  Is there any reason why i'm still being issued a Unique IPv4 on my
home comcast?  you mean to tell me that every single household requires
a unique IP address all the time?  99% of them could do with NAT.  And
the 1% could pay for a static IP, just like the webhosting companies
handle shared customers.  We say "you need a SSL Certificate?" that's
legitimate use of a Unique IP and here is an extra monthly fee for it,
so general ratio of Unique_IP to Shared_IP users is approximately
8/1000.  When we do the very same thing that ISP's do, we are called
"inefficient users", so why aren't ISP's doing the same.  And don't tell
me about all the problems that NAT would cause, i'm sure it would be
much easier to solve with a proper network partitioning scheme than
moving to IPv6.

2)  Give away IPv6 for existing IPv4 holders. This is from the arin website:

*/Note:/* /In Jan 2008, the Board of Trustees decided to reduce the fee
waiver <https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html#waivers>
incrementally over a period of 4 years. Full fees will be in effect in
2012./

We are not going to go through all the song and dance only to be hit
with fees in 2012 when there is no guarantee that end users or our ISP's
are coming.  Theoretically i understand the need to renumber, but in
practice we need to balance our books at the end of the month and an
extra $2k of unnecessary expenses, even 2 years out, are just that,
unnecessary.

3)  Why do universities and even large companies need enormous
allocations?  Ask for them back, offer a free ride for a couple of years
to organizations that give them up and re-sell the IP space to those who
can use it.

4)  Most importantly, everyone should be paying similar costs per IP
address.  The existing fee structure is simply ridiculous.

As a end user, i don't particularly care how ARIN operates or what costs
they have, just as our customers don't care about our internal issues,
so i don't want to hear why something is impossible or improbable.  And
if you're thinking about sending a snooty reply, don't bother, i
probably won't even read it, just like the majority of ARIN members, i'm
busy working during the day.

Best Regards,

Artur
eBoundHost