[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6assignments to LRSA signatories

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Mar 2 18:20:07 EST 2010

On 2010.03.02 17:03, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I'll point out that the current fee waivers only cover allocations and
> not assignments.
>
> The intent here was to get fee waivers for assignments. I'm not opposed
> to extending them to
> everyone. However, I do think that any fee waiver offered to legacy
> holders should come
> with the requirement that the legacy space be brought under LRSA.

My personal belief:

- do not offer assignments a fee waiver
- do not waste time trying to bring legacy v4 space under an (L)RSA
- give everyone who asks v6 addresses, without asking if they have
legacy v4 space. This should not be a condition
- apply fee waivers to allocations, but not to assignments

I'm assigning space to my clients. If they can get ARIN assigned space
without having to pay anything up front, it pushes all of the costs of
allowing that routing slot on my network without the client being able
to assign a dollar figure on such.

At least if an assignee has to pay _something_ up front, it may make
them think twice about doing it. Those who know they need the space will
pay.

Steve