[arin-discuss] urgency of IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Jun 29 16:08:44 EDT 2010

On 6/29/2010 6:05 AM, George, Wes E IV [NTK] wrote:
> I rarely leave my sig file in postings, because I don't think it's
> relevant, but I'm going to this time, for obvious reasons. At the
> risk of feeding the troll, my comments inline below.
>
> Thanks, Wes _________________________________ Wesley George Sprint
> Core Network Engineering - IP http://www.sprint.net
>
> -----Original Message----- From: arin-discuss-bounces at arin.net

OK that explains it, I knew I saw an IPv6 address on that phone.

Just out of curiosity, I put in http://www.sprintv6.net/ to my phone
and I got the:

"You have reached this site via IPv4.  Ask your Internet service
provider about IPv6"  message.  That's from Sprint's network so it
looks like Sprint itself has some "overzealous equipment in the path" ;-)

> Second, both the iPhone and Android have support for IPv6 in
> the OS -- on WiFi. If you connect it to an IPv6-enabled network, it
> will get an address, and theoretically will talk to IPv6-capable
> devices via IPv6. I don't have access to a WM phone with WiFi to
> determine if it does the same. It probably depends on the version.
> http://www.personal.psu.edu/dvm105/blogs/ipv6/2010/05/ipv6-on-smartphones---its-happ.html
>

 > However, they do NOT do this over the 3G interface, at least not yet.
 > Without getting into too much special sauce, on CDMA it's a chipset
 > issue more than a software issue, so it's not always as simple as
 > pushing a software update to phones to make it work.

OK that part I don't understand.  Why didn't Sprint
and the rest of the major US carriers get together and flex their
muscles and tell the unnamed Korean or Chinese manufacturers who make
the CDMA chipsets that they had to modify the CDMA silicon to support
IPv6 years and years ago?

> Sprint does their best to hide this from the general public but I
> can provide screen shots if needed. [[WEG]] Again with the
> big-company conspiracy theory! We're not trying to hide anything from
> anyone. We released a press release a few weeks ago saying that we
> were rolling out IPv6 on our wireless network in 2012, wireline this
> year, and VPN next year. You're not part of some double-secret
> IPv6-on-cellular club, sorry.

Sorry about that, I should have blamed Motorola, since it was they
who manufactured my phone and selected the OS on it.  Since I was
given the phone and someone else is paying the bill I didn't have
much choice.

So, I assume the HTC EVO 4G supports IPv6 over the wireless?  (or
will once Sprint rolls it out in 2012)?  Or will that phone be
discarded in favor of yet a new, unreleased phone, for IPv6 support?

Ted