[arin-discuss] urgency of IPv6

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jun 29 09:48:35 EDT 2010

"George, Wes E IV [NTK]" <Wesley.E.George at sprint.com> writes:

> I rarely leave my sig file in postings, because I don't think it's
> relevant, but I'm going to this time, for obvious reasons. At the
> risk of feeding the troll, my comments inline below.

:-)

> While there is no way to go into any setting on the phone and check it's
> IP address, someone wrote a (free) diagnostic network app you can run on
> WM5 that DOES tell the actual number on the phone.  It IS an IPv6
> number.   Most people probably are confused because going to
> whatismyip.com or some such gives them an IPv4 address.

As it will with anyone.  Real honest-to-god v6 here, has been for
years, and in fact I'm typing this into Emacs over an ssh connection
that rides on v6 rather than v4 because when both are available that's
how MacOSX rolls.  But whatismyip.com has no AAAA record...

Billet:~ rs$ dig +short whatismyip.com. aaaa
Billet:~ rs$

So when I point my web browser there I get the outside address of my
v4 NAT (the globally unique addresses here are reserved for lab and
other applications.  When I go to www.ripe.net, of course I get my
IPv6 autoconf address (hey Apple... DHCP6...  pretty please?).

Point being, this is the same problem as traceroute - people who use
the tools without understanding the tools are doomed to be confused.

-r