[arin-discuss] urgency of IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jun 28 15:51:07 EDT 2010

On 6/28/2010 11:09 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jun 28, 2010, at 6:24 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt<tedm at ipinc.net>
> wrote:

CNN is served by a CDN, so it will be available when the CDN is.

>>> Who cares... Dropping IPv4 is irrelevant. What counts is when
>>> they add IPv6.
>>
>> Why?  If I'm a customer with IPv4 and my content provider of choice
>> adds IPv6 without ANY additional content, why would I want to spend
>> the money to upgrade my stuff to get the same thing over IPv6?
>>
>> Ted
>
> Who cares?  The important thing is that new eyeball users that are
> unable to get IPv4 addresses can get to the content without bizarre
> hacks to give them horribly degraded IPv4 connectivity.

I don't get horribly degraded IPv4 connectivity when I surf the web from
my Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone on Sprint's network, and my wife doesn't
get horribly degraded connectivity when she surfs the web from her
Android phone on the T mobile network - but both those phones are on an
IPv6 network, using some bizarre IPv6-IPv4 proxy back at the cell
companies NOC.

Or as Homer Simpson would say,

Mmmmmmm... bizarre hacks

Seriously, it should be obvious that the economics of rolling out a
brand new technology that is going to use IPv6-only plus a bizarre
hack to access the IPv4 Internet, is going to guarantee that the
bizarre hack is going to be hacked on until it works quite well.

NAT is a bizarre hack, wouldn't you say?  Yet most users are
happy with it.

I think the issue here is not that bizarre hacks will create horribly
degraded IPv4 connectivity.  I think the issue is that bizarre V6-V4
hacks will get institutionalized, which will make it a lot more
difficult to ultimately drop IPv4 and go IPv6 only.  That is a separate
and valid concern, but FUDing it around isn't going to help anything.

Technology companies have a long history of making bizarre hacks
work.  Just look at Microsoft Windows, one of the most bizarre hacks
in the history of technology (followed closely by Mac OS 6, 7, 8 & 9.)

Ted