[arin-discuss] Policy clarification

IPTelligent SysOp sysop at iptelligent.com
Fri Jun 25 16:16:08 EDT 2010

Friends,

This may have raised here in the past, but since I couldn't find
anything in a search, I'm bringing it to you here.

What are the accepted justifications (by ARIN) for justified use of a
block assignment?
It raised today on the following WHT thread:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=959073

a) Generally, is (end-user) VPN usage sufficient justification under
ARIN's eyes (even if users are inside the region or on the same
country)? If yes, which policies would it fall under?
b) In this specific case, the user wants IP blocks for VPNs that will
circumvent "the Great Firewall of China". I can understand that this is
a noble attempt in order to make information freely available to inside
the communist regime of China and void their attempts to block network
neutrality and freedom of speech; it would be even a humanitary aid
(IMHO) to offer such service to them. But, won't this create a
political issue on government level, or a political issue between ARIN
and APNIC? What would be the consequences if that was issued?

What's ARIN's exact position on this?

Regards,
Rafael Cresci