[arin-discuss] urgency of IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Jun 24 16:21:06 EDT 2010

On 6/24/2010 12:48 PM, Nathaniel B. Lyon wrote:
> I have a question, and I apologize if this has been asked before.  We
> are in the process of changing out one of our upstream's with another
> carrier.  That carrier (I won't name names) said to me, "you can have
> as many IP's (IPv4) as you want, as long as you can show
> justification".  I of course said no we have our own direct
> allocations from ARIN, thanks though.
>
> This got me thinking.  I understand ARIN is running on empty when it
> comes to IPv4 addresses.  What percentage is the ISP/Carrier
> community at?  Meaning if you take all the IP's that ARIN has handed
> out to all the ISP's, carrier's and etc, what utilization percentage
> would that be at?  Is it 60%, is it 80%?  I know way back in the day,
> some entities were given /8's and are nowhere near even coming close
> to utilizing them.

ARIN has been picking that fruit for many years, most if not all of
those /8's were traded in a long time ago.

ANY entity that is GROWING and obtaining additional allocations
MUST be at 80% utilization, that's a requirement of getting more
numbers.  But 80% utilization includes the notion that an ISP
customer can get a /29 with little justification, and few ISP's
charge customers more money who need more numbers - unless those
customers are only paying a pittance for connectivity in the
first place (ie: broadband).

The other unspoken assumption here is that ALL ISP's that are
obtaining IP addressing are growing.  But the fact is that growth
is not a business requirement for profit.

Unfortunately in business over the last 40 years in the investment
community there has been a trend for companies to stop paying
dividends and this forces the stockholders to only realize any kind
of investment income from stock by selling the stock.  Thus, they
want the stock prices to go up, and that only happens if the company
is getting bigger.  So the general public (and a lot of poorly-educated
businessmen I'm afraid) have this notion that businesses aren't
doing well and aren't profitable unless they are growing.

Some of the smarter ones of these people have very recently pulled
their heads out as a result of the economic depression of 2007-2008
but the unfortunate fact is that the ARIN rules on IP assignments
were made right during the height of this misguided belief.  ARIN
figured they could exert all the control they would ever need over
the IPv4-holding community by keeping control of new assignments.
No concern or thought was given to auditing existing holdings - note
that section 3.6.1 was only added to the NRPM quite recently, for
example, and the Legacy RSA (LRSA) was also another recent invention
along the same vein.

To it's credit there's been a mental shift at ARIN and within the
ARIN community, all of us I think have come to the understanding
that ARIN will be managing IPv4 long after IANA stops handing it out.
Thus there's a need for more IPv4 control mechanisms than just being
the gatekeeper of new IPv4 assignments.  IPv6, of course, is so
vast that we really COULD give everyone and their dog an allocation,
many many times over, thus the control issues are much different.
With IPv6, the critical thing is making sure we know who has what,
since there's so many numbers.

 > Could it be that some of these entities have more than enough IPv4
 > addresses to last a while?  Could that be why adoption is slow to go
 > from a crawl to a walk, to a run?

I believe that with the exception of the true hacker admins, and
the very large professional admins at huge networks, that for the
rest IPv6 adoption will mainly be driven by customer demand for
Ipv6.  And that will be only driven by content providers offering
content in IPv6 ONLY.  Not dual-stacked content, IPv6 ONLY content.

Ted