[arin-discuss] fee waivers

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Wed Jun 23 14:49:05 EDT 2010

Replying in-line...

<snip>

> On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:08 AM, Brian Johnson wrote:
>
> > OK. So you are getting a better deal than any ISP, even with the
> > discount we get for a short period. What is your complaint again?
> >
> > Let's say I got a small IPv6 allocation in '08:
> >
> > 				 You		 Me
> > Initial Allocation 	1250		 225
> > Yr 2 Renewal		 100		 562.50
> > Yr 3 Renewal		 100		1125
> > Yr 4 Renewal		 100		1687.50
> > 3 year total		1450		2600
> >
> Not necessarily...
>
> First, that's a 4 year total, not a 3-year total for the ISP column.
> The end user column would be 1550 for 4 years. So you're
> not even comparing the same number of years in your table.
>
> The three year totals would be:
>
> 1450 vs. 1912.50

Sorry, I was doing math too fast while preparing to leave for a long
trip. :)

> Let's look at it a little closer:
>
> Potential records in database:
> ISP /32: 65,000+  (/48s)  or perhaps 16+Million (/56s) I'll use 65,000
> to be conservative.
> End user /48: 1
>
> 3 year total per record (ISP): <$0.03
> 3 year total per record (End User): $1,450

This assumes a lot about my operations don't you think. I'm glad other
people are there to tell me how to do assignments out of my blocks.

Maybe we should have a per assignment fee for ISPs instead of the
current idea of spreading the wealth around. (How would I go about
suggesting this to ARIN?)

> Oh, and, ARIN membership: ISP: $0 -- End User: $500/year.
>
> Space with membership:
>
> Initial:	ISP $225	EU $1750
> Yr2:		ISP $562.5	EU $ 600
> Yr3:		ISP $1125	EU $ 600
>
> 3 Yr. Total: ISP: $1912.5 EU: $2950

Year 4 inverts this! A good time to stop for your argument.

> > And every year after this I will pay $2250 for my allocation, but
you
> > will only pay $100 for your assignment. Do you expect me to feel
> sorry
> > for you or anyone in your situation?
> >
> I'm seeing less reason to preserve the ISP fee waivers to be honest.

Agreed, but for completely different reasons.

I get your point, but it's a little to my point more than the original
posters. Sorry for the bad math, but my point is made that as time
progresses an allocation holder will pay EXCESSIVELY more than an
assignment holder.

Let's say we have no waivers at all (a position I would have supported).
A small ALLOCATION would have been $2250/year. The same for a small
ASSIGNMENT would have been $2250 for the first year, but only $600 every
year thereafter. So at year 2 the ISP would be paying 3.75x as much each
year as the other.

I run an ISP where we serve customers, but do very little, actually none
as of right now, assignment of space. I have as much of an impact on
ARIN operations as an assignment has. Should I qualify for an assignment
instead of my allocation under this structure? If so, is there a way to
transition between the two?

Just my $0.02.

- Brian

 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,
copying, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.