[arin-discuss] fee waivers

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Wed Jun 23 03:52:25 EDT 2010

> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:10:44 -0400
> From: Steve Bertrand <steve at ipv6canada.com>
>
> Amen. Commercial or not. $1250 + $1200 (initial + 1 yr) should be easy
> to finance for an IX. Although I've never worked in an IX, I can't see
> that fee being a problem if it has legitimate participants.

if there's a business there, yes. but if it's a garage band IX and no
incorporation and $0 port fees then it can still be important internet
infrastructure and yet getting address space and/or paying for it is a
big question mark. (been there, done that, paid some stuff out of my
own pocket sometimes just to avoid having to beg from the connectees.)

but this case would be covered under "community networking" which had a
separate policy process and the arin community already ruled against
fee waivers in this case. i am not reraising that issue, dead is dead.
however, it's worth keeping the record straight, an IX with legitimate
participants can still in some cases have no bank account.