[arin-discuss] fee waivers

Steve Bertrand steve at ipv6canada.com
Tue Jun 22 22:38:43 EDT 2010

On 2010.06.22 20:47, Aaron Wendel wrote:
> It's not free at this point.

capiche. It never really was 'free', even for ISPs ;)

fwiw, the authoritative IPv6 waiver info for the ARIN region is found here:

https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html#waivers

afaicr, and afaict, the waiver does not apply to anything but
allocations (end-users receive 'assignments') as you suggest.

However, an end-user must pay but $100 per year for their assignment.

Do you not think that the maintenance of an end-user assignment costs
ARIN probably the same in administration and maintenance as it does for
my /32? (that statement/question is my own speculation). $50 off for a
resi? why?

I comprehend that you are trying to make things fair 'value-wise' for
end-users. I appreciate that. However, if everyone can just get a /48
for 'free', how are you going to deal with filtering when your v6 table
grows too large?

There must be value placed on the $100 prefixes..

Otherwise, as has been discussed, there are other options (plug: he.net)

Perhaps I'm thinking about this wrong. My strong personal belief is that
ARIN must balance advocacy with income. Now that ARIN is (thankfully)
becoming closer tied to the ops community, perhaps the ops community
could share some insight into how they feel about free/cheap, random
/48's floating around from everywhere.

I know it will happen, and currently I personally accept all /48s. But
please don't waiver $100/yr. That's like not drinking three coffees a
month that can go toward helping ARIN's v6 outreach.

Steve