[arin-discuss] neophyte IPv6 inital allocation and fee question

Charles O'Hern charles at office.tcsn.net
Wed Jul 7 20:26:19 EDT 2010

Yes we are an ISP, multi-homed, AS13525.  Apologies I didn't realize
that I neglected to mention our org status.

I'm going to avoid the minimun end user allocation/assignment issue.
I've seen that argument rage back and forth a few times on this and
the PPML list.  So in the interest of avoiding that occuring again,
I'll ignore any consideration of need for the moment.

The crux of the issue is that the minimum allocation size by NRPM
doubles our annual fees to ARIN, yet ARIN's own pricing structure for
ISP's includes listings for smaller allocations.  This leads me to two
points.

1) The lack of consistency is a little confusing.  If the consensus of
the majority is that more IPv6 adoption is a good thing, shouldn't we
try to minimize confusion?

2) A doubling or more (if more than /32 is needed) of annual fees for
little to no capital gain will be a barrier to adoption for some.  Any
ISP currently running on less than a /20 IPv4 will face a fee increase
in order to adopt IPv6.  I am aware of the route aggregation issue in
regards to core router RAM and CPU capabilities, but is the loss of
small ISP IPv6 adoption an intentional sacrifice to ease the routing
table burden?

As a small ISP who really can't afford such an increase should we just
stop worrying about IPv6 at this time?  (honest question, I have
plenty of other issues with which to be concerned.)