[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Mon Feb 8 14:21:53 EST 2010

Returning IPv4 address space that is currently in use is going to be as easy for a IPv4 legacy holder to do as it is for any other IPv4 resource holder.

> > However, if you really think this won't make a difference, then, why
> > are you so convinced it will do harm?
>
> I already said in my last message, I don't think it's fair to ask
> all other ARIN fee payers to subsidize a legacy holder getting an
> IPv6 block.  The staff time to review the request is not free.  I
> think the rest of ARIN has already been giving them a free ride for
> way too long, and the last thing we need to do is extend that in
> new directions.

Two and a half years ago, I jumped into a "legacy holders are evil because they haven't paid their fair share" rant fest and asked how, as a legacy resource holder, I was supposed to pay? At the time, there was not a clear mechanism for a legacy resource holders to sign an RSA.

So get off your high horse about legacy resource holders getting a free ride. Until the LRSA became available in mid November, 2007, there wasn't a mechanism available nor had ARIN asked legacy resource holders to sign up.

> What is in this proposal for all the people who've been paying fees for
> the last 10 years, and paid their $1250 to get IPv6?  You just said it
> wasn't to expand IPv6 development, so what does everyone else get out
> of
> this?  A warm fuzzy feeling?
>

>From the outside, it looks to me like a mechanism to encourage legacy resource holders to sign an LRSA, with a side benefit of encouraging IPv6 thinking if not adoption.

How many organizations would take advantage of this? Idunno. The cost of the IPv6 address allocation is a small part of the cost of implementing IPv6.

If no organizations take advantage of this waiver, it doesn't cost ARIN anything. If a hundred organizations take advantage of the waiver, that's a hundred more organizations paying annual fees, and maybe implementing IPv6.

How is this fee waiver so different from the current partial fee waiver in place for RSA signers?

Keith Hare