[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial FeeWaiverfor IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Feb 5 08:28:19 EST 2010

> If you have have pre-arin resources and you DO NOT sign the
> agreement, then you get nothing from ARIN.
>
> What does that do to your status and those pre-ARIN resources
> is unclear.

It marginalises you. ARIN does not mandate any particular
routing practices, but I can see the increasing likelihood
that as IPv6 usage grows, many ISPs will be looking to
simplify their routing tables and one easy way would be
to filter any routes that are not legit in the eyes of
the RIRs.

> If you do sign the agreement then you are "legit" in ARIN's
> eyes and can be a member of the club.

And being in the club gives you a say in how you are regulated.
Make no mistake, ARIN is becoming as important a regulatory
body as the FCC. This is an opportunity for the whole industry
to show the rest of the world how it is done. In fact, it
would not surprise me to see the FCC, or some parts of it's
regulatory activities, be restructured into a similar bottom
up, stakeholder managed, self regulatory organization.

--Michael Dillon